As John continues reporting his vision, he takes us to another unit of the vision in chapter 4.
Opening of inner eyes
John states that he sees the door of heaven opened and One sitting on a throne set in heaven (4:1-2).
He sees the beauty and deco of the One who sits on the throne (4:3)
He sees another 24 thrones occupied by 24 elders (4:4)
He sees their beauty also, with the lightnings and thundering voices proceeding from them (4:5)
This indicates the openness of spiritual eyes – to see what God is revealing. John says he “was in the Spirit” (4:2), meaning that only if we are in the Spirit or the Holy Spirit is in us can we behold spiritual matters. Psalm 25:14 states that, “The secret of the LORD is with those who fear Him, And He will show them His covenant.”
- Pray that your inner eyes will remain opened, to always see what God is showing.
- Pray that your inner eyes will be sharp to see everything you need to see. John sees everything
- Pray for retentive and sharp memory that recalls what is essential, so that you’ll be able to do the needful with it.
- Opening of inner ears
- In 4:2 he hears a voice like a trumpet asking for him to “come up …” to see.
- He hears the 4 creatures singing “Holy, holy, holy, …” (4:8)
- He hears the 24 elders singing “You are worthy, O Lord, …” (4:10)
This indicates the openness of spiritual ears – to hear what God is saying.
- Pray that the Lord will open your spiritual/inner ears to hear the voice of the Lord at all times, as pertaining His will and purpose.
- The throne of God
- When we are spiritually awake, we have easy access to the throne of God, the One who sits on it and the wonders around it (Heb. 10:19-20).
- This chapter brings joy and encouragement to all of us who look forward to being with Christ forever, as we are introduced to the beaty of God, His throne and awesomeness of His surroundings – filled with worship all day long.
- Another prophet who sees something similar to this was Ezekiel. See Ezek. 1:1-28 to enjoy this wonderful experience.
- Since this vision of from heaven, we are to believe it – that what is shown or said is true.
- Around the throne we observe eyes that can see everyone and everywhere; symbols of authority and power; wings – readiness to serve God at His will; songs – worship, etc.
- The throne of God
We shall make heaven in Jesus name.