The book of Isa. 59:12 says, “For our transgressions before you are many,and our sins testify against us. Our transgressions indeed are with us, and we know our iniquities:”
Scripture: Judges 16:1-end
Using the account in Judges 16 as a case study, we realize that when we live with sin as Samson lived with Delilah, we are in trouble. Samson’s transgression was with him, although he was a chosen person who was meant to destroy the Philistines (Judges 13:5).
What is transgression?
It is an act of going beyond morality, thereby entering into sin.
Staying with Samson’s case in Judges 16, we see that when our transgressions remain with us:
His mom and dad warned him not to get involved with unbelieving Philistine woman, but he said that’s the exact woman he wanted (14:3).
Further, We, God’s children have been given a moral law of not getting equally yoked with unbelievers (2 Cor. 6:14).
From Samson’s case we realize that transgressions lead to:
- Making wrong choices
- 16:1 He went in with a harlot
- 16:5 He went ahead again to love a woman (Delilah) to who we are not sure he was married
- Weakened self-control
- In verses 6, 10, 13, & 16 we see how he continued to lose control even when he was fully informed that the informed he would release was meant to cause him affliction (vs. 6)
- Inability to fulfil purpose
- Samson, someone who is meant to destroy the Philistines is now arrested, his eyes plucked out and became a grinder in prison – unable to continue to fulfil purpose (vs. 21)
- Final self-destruction
- In his attempt to fulfill purpose, he attempted one more time by asking for death / peril together with his captors (vs. 30).
Only Jesus Christ can give us victory over transgressions. That’s why we need him today more than ever before. Confess your sins and transgressions now, as David did in Psalm 51:2-3
If you have not given your life to Jesus Christ, seize this moment as the most precious opportunity of your life to confess Jesus as your Lord and Savior. Today is the day of salvation (2 Cor. 6:2). Come.
- Pray that God will deliver you from the inner man (the spirit of transgression which leads one to make wrong choices.
- Pray for discerning spirit and power of self-control when sin and sinners are enticing you.
- Pray that God will assist you to fulfil your purpose in life torment.
- Pray that you will not become a self-destroyer.