The Philadelphia church received a comforting and encouraging letter from Jesus Christ, because she please Him. Smyrna church is another one that received this type of commendation among all other churches.
Philadelphia church was one that pleased the Lord even though she was in an idolatrous environment
Who is addressing the church?
- “… the holy one, the true one, (Rev. 6:10; Rev.19;11) [Live a holy life like Him, know that He cannot lie – he will fulfill His promises over your life, even though you are not feeling good right now, etc.]
- who has the key of David, (Isaiah 22:22) – able to establish David’s throne forever
- who opens and no one will shut, who shuts and no one opens.” (Rev. 3:7) – He is sovereign and powerful.
- “… I know that you have but little power, and yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name.” (Rev. 3:8) This was a church that stayed faithful to the words of Jesus in the midst of weakness and oppositions. As far as Jesus is concerned, this is a great achievement.
- “… you have kept my word about patient endurance, …” (Rev. 3:10)
Their Offenses: NONE
God’s Judgement: NONE – only to those who make believe that they are Christians but are not. (Rev. 3:9)
The Way Out / Steps to take:
- “I am coming soon. Hold fast what you have, so that no one may seize your crown.” (Rev. 3:11; 22:12)
- “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.’” (Rev. 3:13)
Promises for the repentant:
- “Behold, I will make those of the synagogue of Satan who say that they are Jews and are not, but lie—behold, I will make them come and bow down before your feet, and they will learn that I have loved you.” (Rev. 3:9; Isa. 60:14)
- “Because you have kept my word about patient endurance, I will keep you from the hour of trial that is coming on the whole world, to try those who dwell on the earth.” (Rev. 3:10; 2 Peter 2:9)
- “The one who conquers, I will make him a pillar in the temple of my God. Never shall he go out of it, and I will write on him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which comes down from my God out of heaven, and my own new name.” (Rev. 3:12; Rev. 22:4;)
- Keeping the words of Jesus at difficult times helps you to withstand any situation, and if you stand, you’ll be exempted from the grate tribulation and you will a pillar in the temple of God – with Jesus’ name written on you in the new Jerusalem.
- Lord help us to keep your words