Yes, everyone in life would try their best to avoid any situation that may bring shame on them. In this article I will present to you some possible ways of avoiding shame and ridicule, using a familiar story in the bible. It is recorded that the beginning of signs (miracles) that Jesus performed in the public was one in which He removed what could have resulted to shame from the wedding ceremony at Cana of Galilee.
In his epistle, St. John recorded the story in chapter 2:1-11 saying, “On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus’ mother was there, and Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding. When the wine was gone, Jesus’ mother said to him, “They have no more wine.”“Woman, why do you involve me?” Jesus replied. “My hour has not yet come.”
His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.” Nearby stood six stone water jars, the kind used by the Jews for ceremonial washing, each holding from twenty to thirty gallons. Jesus said to the servants, “Fill the jars with water”; so they filled them to the brim.
Then he told them, “Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet.” They did so, and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside and said, “Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now.”
What Jesus did here in Cana of Galilee was the first of the signs through which he revealed his glory; and his disciples believed in him.”
If you want to avoid shame in life, take these steps:
- Always invite Jesus into everything you want to do: Notice here that Jesus was invited to the wedding. It seems to me that Jesus may not have attended that ceremony if He had not been invited. Therefore you should always ensure that you ask Jesus (through prayers and consultation with His words) into your situations, plans, ceremonies, building projects, business endeavor, carreer plans, and other activities. One thing you can count on is that He will not allow you to be disappointed if He is present with you.
- Surround yourself with those who will look out for your happiness: The wedding party invited Jesus, Mary and the Disciples. These were godly people who looked out for the happiness of the bride and groom. Sometimes you are so engrossed in what you are doing, realizing or not that something bad is about to happen; but if you are surrounded by those who care for your happiness, you will never experience shame.
- Always consult Jesus when you run out: Though you know that Jesus is all powerful and omnipresent, you must never be quiet when you are running out of ideas, patience, money, strength or anything that could bring you happiness. To shut up is to drown in shame, but to speak up is to receive help from the Lord. Someone spoke up to inform Jesus that wine had finished, He did something about it. Are you thinking of who to marry, what school to attend, what career you should take on, what church you should become a member of, how to come out of a problem, how to do successful parenting, how to lead God’s people, how to make it to heaven? Consult Jesus.
- Be ready to do whatever He instructs: Many times, Jesus may instruct you to take a step that would remove shame eventually, it is your responsibility to obey his instruction – even when it does not make human sense to you. Mary knew this and she quickly instructed the disciples to do whatever Jesus instructed. No one in their wildest dream would think that water could just turn to wine just like that, but Jesus knew it could. We should pray for the ability to walk by faith in all things so we may experience miracle. When you obey by faith, it is counted as righteousness to you and shame is removed far from you (Rom. 1:16-17). Be ready to bring your water pot to Him, He will fill it with joy – more than before.
- Note that without Jesus you can do nothing (John 15:5): It is only with Jesus that you can have new wine. When you involve Jesus in your affairs, your life will become better that it used to be.
In case you are yet to know, please be informed that Jesus is the Way, Truth and Life (John 14:6), therefore He is the One who has answer to your quest. Accept Him into your life and He will remove your shame. If you already have Jesus, then be sure never to neglect Him in your affairs. Pray that God will enable you to always invite Jesus into everything you want to do. Pray that Jesus will fill the water pot of your life with gladness. Pray that He will make your life better than before.
The groom was about to be put to shame but because he surrounded himself with Jesus, shame was avoided. Who do you surround yourself with? Who attends your ceremonies, worldly people or believers? Who do you hang out with, those who will bring shame or those who will avert it? If you hang out with Jesus and those who allow Him to disciple them, you will never be put to shame.
I pray that faith shall be added to these words in your heart in Jesus name. As the groom testified that the latter wine was better than the former, so shall you have a testimony of a better life in Jesus name.
I am Pastor Abraham Obadare of Christ Apostolic Church WOSEM, in Queens, New York. You may read more teachings by visiting www.thewayoutforyou.com or watch teaching videos on www.eagernessofgod.org. If you wish to call for prayers, I am available on 718-658-8981. You may also obtain any of my books: Chosen But Naughty or sermon notebook by calling the same number above. Remember that Jesus loves you.